Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Reflection to Monday and discussion about the third paper

     I did not have a very good experience Monday - I felt like she didn't understand the purpose of my paper.  While I knew the context wasn't perfect, her suggestions were far from what I could see happening to the paper.  I appreciated that she tried to help, but I also felt like she misunderstood my purpose.  It did make me realize how, even if a student were to try hard to express their ideas to a tutor, the tutor may not listen.  This feels frustrating.  I was sad to walk away feeling like I had no good idea of where to go next.  Luckily Phil had a great experience, and had one simple idea that cleared up what seemed like such a big issue before.  I also think that a persons personal view on the assignment, and life, can affect how they interpret things.  This can hinder communication if people are from opposite spheres of opinion.  Overall, the experience made me want more than ever to make my students comfortable and to closely listen to them.  
     Oh a better note, I am happy with my third paper.  I'm glad I worked with Phil because in the end, we created a better paper than I could have alone.  We did have a few stylistic issues, but since we are both tutors, we were able to recognize that it was just a style issue and not something that was wrong.  We then moved on to actual issues, after agreeing on how to stylistically form specific areas.

No comments: