Sunday, April 6, 2008

April 6

     I am very worried about completing the work for our project.  Phil and I contacted the writing desk immediately, and we have finally been through the beginning processes and will be able to observe tutoring this week.  Unfortunately, they have a very small number of appointments scheduled for the week, and I don't think any are scheduled when we can observe them.  It is frustrating that we came this far and I'm not sure if we'll be successful.  This is greatly frustrating to me.
     While reading the chapters for tomorrow's class, I realized that I don't meet expectations for the beginning of a session, and I don't think I could meet some of them.  The book mentioned talking a long time with your client so both of you feel more comfortable.  I'm not good at this in other situations; I don't know how I would suddenly become great at it now.  There are some clients I become comfortable with, and will talk a little more with, but even then I focus mainly on working with their paper.  As long as I see the purpose of a session as helping the student with their work, I will always focus more on getting to work than talking.  I think this is an ongoing battle in my head.  I try my best to do everything I can to be a good tutor, but when suggestions clash with my personality it's difficult.  It takes me time to get to know a person, and small talk at the beginning of one session would not be enough for me to feel comfortable.  How can I expect that to work for everyone else?

No comments: