Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Online Tutoring and My Project

     The chapters on online tutoring did give some justification of how it can be very effective, but it doesn't change my mind about it.  I'm still not comfortable with online tutoring.  I've never had a good session, and I think only one or two people have actually shown up.  All of my experiences were last semester, though.  I almost had one today, but the girl came in instead, because she couldn't figure out how to get on.  In the first essay, I felt like the director was almost being rude when he said that only tutors who had tutored face-to-face disliked the online tutoring.  I think if the newer tutor did tutor face to face, she would have the same opinion as the others.  I cannot see how online tutoring could really be better, as the second article seems to claim.  I also think it is funny that a tutor is intended to write very casually online, therefore showing the student exactly what not to do in his or her paper.  
     Since I discussed my project in my last post, I would like to post my good news.  Phil and I switched to the writing center, since the writing desk didn't have enough appointments.  We are observing Taylor.  I was able to do two hours of my observations today, and I will finish my observations tomorrow.  For one of the observations, Phil was the one being tutored.  While I thought this would be awkward, it proved to be a good session for both of them.  I was able to watch Taylor become more comfortable with the situation as it continued, and they both seemed very happy when the session ended.  They both showed a strong feeling of accomplishment.  An interesting twist on the matter, Jason observed me observing the session.  I am adding his notes into my observation notes.

No comments: