Sunday, March 30, 2008

Murphy and DiPardo

     The first reading sounded familiar, at least at first.  We had previously discussed how a tutor was similar to a therapist, and this text further supports that idea.  When looking upon it closer, as is necessary to develop questions, I realized that there were many claims that seemed odd to me.  I do not enter a session feeling I am to change the behavior of a student.  Even if I help the student to become a better writer, I cannot change anyone.  All behavior changes take place internally - the student would have to choose to change.  I guess this idea alone bothers me greatly.  They also referred to a session as an intervention, which sounds horrible!  I do not consider students that come to the writing center to be heading down a writing path so horrible that someone must stop them right away.  Honestly, I do not consider everyone that comes through the doors to be a pathetic case that needs my utmost help.  I want to help people with their writing, but I'm not going to begin with any preconceived notions that seem negative, as those ideas seem to me.
     The second article made me think about an ESL student I work with often, and many others in general.  Many ESL students just want me to help them make their papers "better" or more like native writing.  The feedback some teachers' give can be harsh, and not really help point a student in the direction they need to go.  Why does our culture expect everyone to conform to it, and not accept that English is not the one and only language?  It seems like the idea, it's right and the only way because it's my way, is overly evident in this case.

No comments: